Site Reliability Engineering (SRE) combines software and systems engineering to build and run large-scale, massively distributed, fault-tolerant systems. SRE ensures that Nodereal services—both our internally critical and our externally-visible systems—have reliability, uptime appropriate to users’ needs and a fast rate of improvement. Additionally SRE’s will keep an ever-watchful eye on our systems capacity and performance. Much of our software development focuses on optimizing existing systems, building infrastructure and eliminating work through automation.
SRE’s culture of diversity, intellectual curiosity, problem solving and openness is key to its success. Our organization brings together people with a wide variety of backgrounds, experiences and perspectives. We encourage them to collaborate, think big and take risks in a blame-free environment. We promote self-direction to work on meaningful projects, while we also strive to create an environment that provides the support and mentorship needed to learn and grow.
- Engage in and improve the whole lifecycle of services—from inception and design, deployment, operation, and refinement.
- Support services before they go live through activities such as system design consulting, developing software platforms and frameworks, capacity planning, and launch reviews.
- Maintain services once they are live by measuring and monitoring availability, latency, and overall system health.
- Scale systems sustainably through mechanisms like automation; evolve systems by pushing for changes that improve reliability and velocity.
- Practice sustainable incident response and blameless postmortems.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, a related technical field involving software/systems engineering, or equivalent practical experience.
- Experience programming in at least one of the following languages: C, C++, Java, Python, or Go.
- Experience with algorithms and data structures.
- Expertise in designing, analyzing, and troubleshooting large-scale distributed systems.
- Ability to debug, optimize code, and automate routine tasks.
- Systematic problem-solving approach, coupled with effective communication skills and a sense of drive.
- Understanding of Unix/Linux operating systems.